Legacy of the Valiant
Legacy of the Valiant is the November booster for the OCG (shortly after we receive Shadow Specters). Not much is known about the set, safe the following things:
- There will be more support for Bujins and Ghostricks. Let’s hope for the fans that these archetypes will become competitive.
- The new archetype will be Shinra (OCG name), which are Plants whose core effect is: "reveal top card. If it's a plant, then plusses, otherwise, return it to the bottom of the deck".
- The old archetype that receives support is Gravekeepers. The new GK card revealed is Marik's dad (lol). I wonder if they'll receive an XYZ as well (here's hoping at least)?
- There is yet ANOTHER Utopia version, but this one seems interesting. Number 39: Utopia Roots is a Rank 1 XYZ that requires 2 Lv. 1 monsters and has a similar effect to the original Utopia (safe the self-destruct button). Handy in Piper decks, though I feel Slacker Magician is better than this one.
- There’s now a Rank-Down Magic that pipes down Utopia monsters (to obtain Utopia Roots from Utopia)... read as: very limited and situational version of Rank-changing magic. Worst of the bunch at this moment.
- And an interesting revealed spell is Xyz Shift. This card tributes an XYZ for another in your extra deck with the same rank/type/attribute. This seems handy to turn a material-less XYZ into a harder-to-achieve xyz with interesting effects. Like turning a Fairy Cheer Girl into Madolche Queen Tiaramisu to bounce cards, or turning Utopia/Excalibur into Photon Alexandra Queen and bounce the entire f**king field to their owner's hand. Basically, the more XYZ come out, the more interesting this card becomes.
More information on this set will follow when November comes closer.
Duelist Sets Machine Troopers & Lightsworn Judgment
Next to the next Booster set, the OCG will also receive two new Duelist sets in November. For those who are unfamiliar with Duelist sets, a duelist set is a reprint deck with a few new cards. Last year, the OCG received these kind of sets Constellars and Evilswarms. But those were mostly reprinted due to legal reasons in non-Japanese OCG countries (who weren't allowed to play them until that point). I guess the sets were such a success, Konami decided to give the people some more.
This year the Duelist sets will be centered around Lightsworns and Geargias.
Each of these sets will have a rubber playmat (cool), some archetype sleeves (of low quality, so don’t rage about that), a special code card for the upcoming Yugioh 3DS game (I presume to download the new cards into the game?), a deck-case, a constructed deck with 37 reprinted cards and 3 new ones and a Power-up pack (similar to that from the Starter deck earlier this year).
The revealed new cards for the Lightsworn variant are:
- Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden (a lv. 3 LIGHT spellcaster tuner): She searches a LIGHT dragon when normal summoned with a level depending on the number of different Lightsworns in the grave (NOT interesting in Lightsworns, unless you mix Lightsworns with Blue-Eyes cards...).
- Raiden, Lightsworn Assailant (a Lv. 4 LIGHT warrior tuner): This is now the ideal Lumina target (lol). It has a useful attack and an effect that boosts his own attack, but mostly he's there to sync into Lv. 7/8 synchro's.
- Lightsworn Arch Michael (A Lv. 7 LIGHT warrior synchro): Too bad, but no effect as of yet.
And the rest of this set will probably be the rest of the Lightsworn support cards, wether they're good (Solar Recharge), or bad (like Shire, Lightsworn Spirit).
The new cards for the Geargia variant are:
- Geargiano Mk III (A Lv. 3 EARTH Machine): Another target for Geargiagear! When special summoned by a Geargia Card (monster/trap), you can special summon another Geargia (spam-spam-spam)!
- Geargiattacker (A lv. 4 EARTH Machine): This card works similarly to Geargiarmor, but destroys backrow when flipped face-up. Its 100 defense makes it kind of 'meh' though (unless a card comes out that allows Geargia's to be flipped more frequently).
- Geargiagear X Gigant (A Rank 3 EARTH Machine XYZ): This XYZ gives a purpose for playing the Geargiano’s. But the effect? Nobody knows at the moment.
The other cards in this set will probably be the other Geargia's (duh) and Gadgets (guess that fits, yeah). More info will follow when November comes closer by.
3DS Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Carnival game promo's
More practical information on the (belated) 3DS game has been released. The cards included will be up to and including Duelist Pack 15 (Shark & Rio Duelist Pack) in October; although the game cards in the Duelist sets give the impression you can download those new cards as well via code (unconfirmed).
So the latest booster set included will be Shadow Specters. For the TCG, that means there are no TCG exclusives from JOTL (like XYZ Encore) nor Shadow Specters (way less Noble Knights).
As stated before, the game will be released in the OCG in Winter 2013. IF (and only if) this game gets a release in the TCG, you should expect it in the spring of 2014.
The promo cards included with the game (and playable in the game) will be the following:
- Snow Plow Hustle Rustle (Lv. 10 EARTH Machine | 2500/3000): "When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack while you control a card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then destroy all cards in your Spell & Trap Card Zone, and if you do, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each. You cannot Special Summon any monsters, except Machine-Type monsters."
- Night Express Knight (Lv. 10 EARTH Machine | 3000/3000): "Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck. You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 0".
- Special Schedule (normal spell): "Target 1 Machine-Type monster with 3000 or more ATK in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. You can only activate 1 "Special Schedule" per turn. If this Set card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 10 Machine-Type monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand."
These three cards were all used by Anna Kaboom in the anime and are thus created to make it easier to XYZ summon Rank 10 monsters (Gustav Max, Gangaridai & Super Robo Galaxy Destroyer).
I wonder what TCG-Konami is going to do about these Duelist sets. I could understand they didn't like the previous ones (Releasing a set of Constellars and Evilswarm just after/before they release Hidden Arsenal 7? Would be kind of silly), but these two? Even if they don't like Duelist sets as an item, the sets themselves give possibilities to new Structure Decks, don't you think? I think many people would be interested in a Geargia and/or Lightsworn Structure deck with these new cards, right? I'm curious to how our Konami is going to handle this opportunity.
And the game? Well, cross you fingers that we'll receive it. I REALLY want that game to have an International release. I stated it before: it's thanks to the YGO-videogames that I eventually got into the real card game. They give opportunity to lure in new players. They give possibilities to test random decks without the need of being online, and they allow ruling tests (hint: you can use the duel Puzzles in the (existing) DS games as tests for ruling questions on older cards).
A clearly hopeful V out.
Note: Part 3 will cover Gold Series '14 and the Cyber Dragon Structure Deck.