So, it's finally upon us, the new list in here. But serious, what the hell's with the Jar-hate?
- Morphing Jar (from limited)
- Morphing Jar #2 (from unlimited)
- Coach Soldier Wolfbark (from unlimited)
- Mermail Abyssgunde (from unlimited)
- Rekindling (from unlimited)
- Infernity Barrier (from unlimited)
- Necroface (from limited)
- Hieratic Seal of Convocation (from unlimited)
- Magical Stone Excavation (from Semi-Limited)
- Primal Seed (from Limited)
The decks that are hit
- Empty Jar: Not really a competitive deck atm, but with its key cards gone, it's totally dead now.
- Fire Fist: With Wolfbark (and Rekindling) Limited, it's up to the Fisters (wait, that sounds too wrong) to make a new mix between 3 and 4-axis (Dragon will return).
- Fire Kings/Laval/Flamvell: These three decks kind of relied on Rekindling as a finishing card. We saw an occasional Fire King or Laval deck top in regionals from time to time; but I guess those times are over now.
- Mermail: While I was initially disappointed that those 2 spam cards (Steuss & Sphere) weren't hit, Gunde is a hit that's about just as good. Three Monster Reborns in the deck was kind of a lot. But while I expected the Fishes to be butchered, they're still allowed to play on the top tables.
- Hieratic DRuler: Called it. Though I kind of expected to see Atum return to 2 as well. Oh well, we'll see if people will still play that dreadfully awkward deck.
- Infernity: One of the most busted counter traps in the game limited? I can only applaud that choice.
My initial reaction
10 changes is small, but with a list-frequency like this, that's kind of to be predicted. Why the hell is this list until half of July? That's such a random date (unless all continental championships are held just before this date, that would kind of make sense).
But what's with the Jar-hate here? It's been ages since I've seen anyone play those cards (safe a random Jar #2 in the side-deck). So why make them forbidden? That's just an overzealous hit towards "annoying" decks (in this case, Empty Jar) and potential OTK enablers (Jackpot 7 works better with the Dark Scorpian Burglars anyway).
The other hits can be classified as predictable (Wolfbark, Convocation, Stone Excavation), (surprisingly) good hits (Abyssgunde, Rekindling, Infernity Barrier) and a few surprises (the return of Necroface and Primal Seed). Not that 2 Necrofaces or three Primal Seeds will do much...
That's it for now. V is going to cheer up a sad jar.