The moment OCG-Konami said they would update the Forbidden & Limited list every few months (after each new booster), I realized that TCG-Konami would publicize a different F&L list. But this? I did not expect it to be THIS different!
The Changes... in TCG
- All baby Dragons (from unlimited)
- Spellbook of Judgment (from unlimited
- Card Destruction (from limited)
- Elemental HERO Stratos (from limited)
- Gateway of the six (from limited)
- Heavy Storm (from limited)
- Monster Reborn (from limited)
- Number 16: Shock Master (from unlimited)
- Pot of Avarice (from limited)
- Super Rejuvenation (from unlimited, became limited in OCG)
- Solemn Judgment (from limited)
- Ultimate Offering (from limited)
- Genex Ally Birdman (from unlimited)
- Atlantean Dragoons (from unlimited)
- Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Spirit (from unlimited)
- Bottomless trap Hole
- Compulsory Evacuation Device (from unlimited)
- Constellar Ptolemy M7 (from unlimited)
- Deep Sea Diva (from unlimited)
- Dewloren, Tiger king of the Ice Barrier (from semi-limited)
- Dimensional Fissure (from unlimited)
- Eradicator Epidemic Virus (from unlimited)
- Evigishki Mind Augus (from unlimited)
- Gold Sarcophagus (from unlimited)
- Macro Cosmos (from unlimited)
- Rescue Rabbit (from semi-limited)
- Royal Tribute (from semi-limited)
- Soul Drain (from unlimited)
- Thunder King Rai-oh (from semi-limited)
- Torrential Tribute (from semi-limited)
- Fire Formation - Tenki (from unlimited)
- Dimensional Prison (from unlimited)
- Mezuki (from limited)
- Plaguespreader Zombie (from limited)
- T.G. Striker (from limited)
- E-Emergency Call (from semi-limited)
- Pot of Duality (from semi-limited)
- Scapegoat (from limited)
- Tsukuyomi (from semi-limited)
- A HERO Lives (from semi-limited)
- Black Whirlwind (from limited, became semi-limited in OCG)
- Destiny HERO - Malicious (from semi-limited)
- Hieratic Seal of Convocation (from semi-limited)
- The Agent of Mystery - Earth (from semi-limited)
Did NOT change in TCG, compared to OCG
Please take note, the following changes in OCG are NOT being applied to TCG!
- Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier is STILL forbidden.
- Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Rooster is still unlimited (called it).
- Divine Wind of Mist Valley did not get hit (since we don't have Harpie Dancer, obviously).
- Number 11: Big Eye DID NOT GET HIT (wait, what?).
- Chaos Sorcerer is still Limited (awh, sad panda).
- Wind-up Magician and Shark did not switch places.
- Mermail Abyssteus and Abyss-Sphere did not get hit (Diva and Dragoons did).
- Gladiator Beast Bestiari did NOT return to 2.
- Neo-Spacian Grand Mole did NOT return to 2.
- Gorz did NOT return to 2.
- Advanced Ritual Art did NOT become unlimited.
- Reasoning did NOT become unlimited.
- Mirror Force did NOT become unlimited.
More frequent update
Similar to the OCG, this F&L list will be updated more frequently. Though in our case, it will be once per four months, instead of three. I do like that change, since an average of 3 months is a little too fast for most people.
I'm still not over my initial surprise yet. Seriously, this many changes compared to the OCG list! I'll try to convey my initial thought (deeper analysis will follow in the near future).
- Many old, broken cards got banned. Card Destruction, Gateway, Monster Reborn, Storm, Avarice, Stratos, Offering and Solemn Judgment. I'm especially pleased with Card Destruction and Gateway. Those two were just dead broken in opening hands anyway.
- "Sorry, but you can't play YGO"-cards got hit. Limits op CED, Raioh, D-Fissure, Macro Cosmos, Soul Drain, EEV, Bottomless trap Hole, D-Prison and Royal Tribute. And Shock Master is forbidden, which was the most annoying of these type of cards.
- OTK/FTK enablers got hit: Next to Birdman, we also saw the limit on Dewloren, M7 and Mind Augus. Their main purposes are OTK's and FTK's, so I'm not that salty about their limits.
- Archetypes got hit differently. Fire Fists got hit in Spirit, rather than Rooster (which is brand new). It makes the 3-axis dead, but the 4-axis might still live this way. Mermails got hit in Diva and Dragoons, rather than Steus and Sphere (though I'd rather see Sphere hit as well). And Dragon Rulers got hit even more harsh over here. Super Rejuvenation is forbidden and Gold Sarcophagus is limited (opposed to Limited and unlimited). In exchange Big Eye did NOT get hit (one of the few dislikes of this list).
- Trishula doesn't return, but zombies and T.G. Agents do. I like this, seriously. Striker never should've been limited, and T.G. Agents weren't played as much in TCG, compared to the OCG.
- D-HERO lives, E-HERO died (a little): Malicious and a Hero lives come back unlimited, but the problem card (Stratos) is forbidden instead.
What does this mean for the current meta?
- Dragon Rulers got hit even more in their consistency. But the pay-off (the XYZ) is still worth it.
- Prophecies are hit in their problem card, that's it. They go back from broken to "just a good deck". Also good for them, EEV is limited (lol, like that change).
- Mermails got hit in their consistency by hitting Diva and Dragoons. But it has also become harder to fight back, since Macro Cosmos, D-Fissure and Soul Drain became limited. They should've hit Sphere too.
- Gadgets got hit in their Ultimate Offering and their stun card (Shock Master).
- Evilswarm will be more prominent again, since they weren't hit.
- Fire Fists are hit, but not as hard. Will they make a rise with three Roosters?
I'm calling it now. Pot of Duplicity will become Secret Rare. With pot of Avarice gone, this will become the replacement card.
Oh, and buy your D-Hero Malicious while they're available. I sense a D-HERO return.